To improve wellness by providing high quality, compassionate healthcare regardless of ability to pay.
To address the unmet primary health care needs of our community.
- Respect — Serve our patients, each other and community members with courtesy, respect, and cultural sensitivity. We value the diversity of staff and clients and will strive to honor each person.
- Compassion — Provide accessible and affordable services in an empathetic and thoughtful manner. Promote an open and friendly manner to invite others to feel welcomed and valued.
- Personal Integrity — Assume personal responsibility for achieving the highest standard of ethics, honoring our commitments and fostering an environment of mutual trust and stewardship.
- Excellence — Achieve a high level of excellence in fulfilling our mission and working with each other. Demonstrate excellence with exceptional customer service and unquestionable work ethics.
- Collaborative Spirit — Demonstrate a willingness to work with each other, patients, government agencies, donors, and our community.
History and Profile of the Health Center
In 1974, Anchorage Neighborhood Health Center (ANHC) began service to Anchorage with a handful of clinicians in a trailer. Since that time, it has grown to become one of Alaska’s largest and most comprehensive primary care medical and dental practices. ANHC is a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) under section 330 of the Public Health Act. It was Alaska’s first community health center and remains the state’s largest, serving over 12,000 individual patients through over 40,000 visits per year.
From its new health center facility in Midtown Anchorage, ANHC contains the following facilities:
- 45 exam, procedure, and medical consultation rooms organized around 3 medical pods; each pod can support 5 full-time medical provider teams
- Full-service state-of-the-art dental clinic with 10 operatories
- In-house Laboratory services integrated with electronic patient records
- Digital x-ray services and 3D tomographic digital mammography (new in Fall 2012)
- Pharmacy with services closely coordinated with clinical teams and synchronized with patient finances, offering steeply discounted drugs and consultation programs
- Patient education space for consultation on diabetes and other health conditions
- Executive Director – Kimberly Cohen, MSW, JD
- Consulting Medical Director – David Baines, MD
- Medical Director, Clinical Quality — Heidi Baines, MD
- Dental Director — Ghazal Ringler, DMD
- IT Director — John Bartholomew
- Administrative Operations Director – Sarah Berry
- Finance Director — Katie Blank, CPA
- Clinical Operations Director – Lorna Garcia, MS
- Human Resources Director — Patricia Mitchell, SPHR
- Development and Marketing Director — Jon Zasada
ANHC is proud of our 130-person team dedicated to providing quality, accessible care in our community. Our professional health staff includes labratory and radiology technicians, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, registered nurses and certified medical assistants, patient care coordinators and educators, and dental hygienists and technicians. Professionals in facility maintenance, finance, reception, billing, patient records, technology, and administration support the services for our patients.
Board of Directors
The ANHC board is composed of ANHC consumers and interested members of the community. Federal requirements and ANHC bylaws mandate that the majority of members be “consumers” who represent the individuals being served in terms of demographic factors, such as race, ethnicity, sex and neighborhood. The Board meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6pm in room 301 at the Health Center. Patients and community members are encouraged to attend. Meeting announcements are posted publicly on our Facebook feed that is accessible from this website. If you are interested in more information about the board of directors, please contact ANHC Administration at 743-7326 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also complete our board of directors application and info sheet – rev 11-12 and a member of the Board will contact you.
Current Board Officers – 2012-13
- Rhonda Kitter, Chair — appointed 2008
Public Education Health Trust
- Cindy Gilder, Vice Chair – appointed 2009
State of Alaska DEC
- Vanessa Salinas, Secretary — appointed 2006
- Treasurer — position open
- Jennifer Bundy-Cobb, Past Chair — appointed 2007
The Wilson Agency
Current Board Members – 2012-13
- Penny Burt — appointed 2011
- Joe Falcone — appointed 2008
- Marilyn Ferrari — appointed 2014
- Angela Jimenez — appointed 2010
Self Employed – McKinley
- Joel Neimeyer * — appointed 2006
- Molly O’Malley — appointed 2012
Hope Community Services
- Michelle Nesbett — appointed 2012
Nesbett & Nesbett, PC
- Leslie Pridgen — appointed 2010
HOPE Community Resources
- Dr. Aharon Sternberg – appointed 2010
- Karen Williams — appointed 2013
Providence Alaska Health & Services
* past Board Chair